Lightship "Relief" of Oakland, California

Lannan Gallery

Coast Guard vessel "Relief" was launched in 1950 as WAL 605. She began service at the lightstation "Overfalls" at the entrance to Delaware Bay, serving until 1960, when the station was discontinued. Until 1969 she served at Blunts Reef. She was then given the name "Relief", assigned duty to relieve other lightships on the Pacific coast. She was retired from service in 1975 and decommissioned the following year. She was acquired in 1986 by the United States Lighthouse Society, which now maintains the vessel in Oakland. The model is expertly outfitted with a lifeboat, spotlight, binnacle, funnel, ladders, portholes, ropes, capstan etc. Measures: 32 x 12 x 21.


Next Previous

Related Items