Bendix Corporation | Chicago | 1907
The story of Bendix places it's beginning in a hotel room in Chicago in 1907 by American inventor Vincent Bendix (1881-1945).
The first venture was with a struggling bicycle brake manufacturer where Bendix granted permission to use his invention to manufacture a low cost triple thread screw used for "the starting of explosive motors". A short ten years in business and General Motors Corp purchased 24% interest in Bendix to simply maintain contact in the development of patents and devices related to the aviation and automobile industries.
It seems like from there on, Bendix was a genius at developing of auto and aircraft engineering techniques, securing patents for hydraulics, brakes, carburetors, and starting drives for engines and dipping his toe into the interests of industry giants like Ford, Lockheed & Honeywell. The Bendix brand grafted into aeronautics, radio transmission and reception, computers, washing machines, televisions, atomic energy and the marine industry.
In 1930, Bendix purchased outright, marine engineer giant Charles Cory & Sons of New York, a company nearly 100 years old at the time. Bendix continued the already hearty supply and production of Cory telegraphs, alarm systems, lighting fixtures, wiring appliances and other signaling equipment.
Until the 1980s, Bendix continued to be a production and acquisitions beast in the world of defense and technology. In 1983, Allied absorbed Bendix and Honeywell, taking the Honeywell name and carrying the Bendix line of brake shoes, pads and other vacuum or hydraulic subsystems.
Researched & Assembled by Susan Donnelly