Coast Guard LIghtship "Nantucket" LV-112

Lannan Gallery

Coast guard LV-112 was stationed at Nantucket Shoals, MA (1936–42) was used as an Examination Vessel during World War II (1942–45). In 1945 she was stationed back at Nantucket Shoals until 1958 where she transferred to Relief, 1st District (1958–60) and back to Nantucket Shoals (1960–75). This model is a replica of the boat currently docked in Boston Harbor. She is the largest and most expensive lightship ever built; paid for by the White Star Line in compensation for the 1934 collision and subsequent sinking of LV-117 that was struck by the RMS Olympic, sister ship to the Titanic, killing seven of the eleven crew members. The model is detailed with bell, telegraph, binnacle, helm, capstan, rope, lights, ladders, lifeboat, life rafts, funnels, portholes etc.... Mounted into a brass trimmed glass display case with mahogany base. Measures: 33 x 13 x 24.

Related Items